Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) Writing
Difficulty level: C1 / advanced
What is the Advanced (CAE) Writing test like?
The test has two sections and takes 90 minutes:
- Part 1 - Write an essay with a discursive focus
Some material to read (up to 150 words) which may include material taken from advertisements, extracts from letters, emails, postcards, diaries, short articles, etc. Using this information, write an essay with a discursive focus.
- Part 2 - Situationally based writing task
Choose one of four questions. You have to read some input material and write one of the following: a letter/email, a proposal, a report or a review.
The Advanced (CAE) Writing Test makes up 20% of the entire exam.
Your writing is assessed using four criteria:
- Content - have you answered the question?
- Communicative Achievement - have you completed the task in the right sort of language
- Organisation - have you structured your writing with paragraphs?
- Language - have you used a good range of grammar and vocabulary
How to prepare for the Advanced (CAE) Writing test